At James Air, we know just how frustrating the allergy season is and what an impact it can have on your day to day living. Here are some essential tips (part one) on how to keep your home allergen-free as we get further into Spring.
Your Sleeping Space
– We spend so much time sleeping, it only makes sense to keep your bed and bedding an allergen-free zone. You can do this by washing your bedding frequently and using things like dust mite covers to offer more protection between washings.
Your Carpet Flooring
– If you have severe allergies, chances are you’ve already thought about foregoing carpet in your home and going with tile or hardwoods. If that isn’t an option right now, you’ll want to vacuum using a machine with a HEPA filter to help reduce the amount of allergen build up in your carpets.
Start at The Source
– Allergens enter your home in the open spaces of your home. Meaning, doors, and windows. Prevent things like pollens and molds to enter your home by keeping windows closed during pollen shedding and place additional doormats outside and inside to keep those at bay. Better yet, ask family and friends to take off their shoes before entering your home.
Your Air Filter
– Our Air filters do the work of an army, so you’ll want to make sure that you are checking your air filter regularly and swapping it out as recommended for your specific system. Consult your owner’s manual, or look your system up online to learn more about how often you should be changing your air filter. There is excellent news too, there are companies now offering subscription home delivery of air filters based on when you need to replace yours.
– Blinds don’t tend to trap as many allergens as curtains and drapes, but they are better than not using anything. Clean them often especially after leaving your windows open. If you opt for curtains or drapes, choose ones that you can easily clean. This might mean forgoing the kind that you have to totally dismantle so you can have them dry cleaned, and rather, going with a machine washable option instead.
Look for part 2 of 10 Tips to Keep Your Home Allergen Free next week!
Can we help with your heating and air needs? James Air is ready to serve our neighbors in the greater Rapid City area. Give us a call today and let’s get your systems taken care of.